Monday, October 4, 2010

L.O.D. (Loud , Obnoxious, Disruptive)

My dad took me and my two older sisters to the movies on Saturday at the Pittsburgh Mills mall. My oldest sister is 29, my other sister is 25 and I'm 21. We are all four years apart. We also had my 10-year-old niece with us as well. As we are giving the employee our tickets to enter into the theater another employee, who seems to be the manager, stopped all of us from going into the theater and asked my dad "Are you leaving all of them alone in the theater?" We all looked at each other confused. My dad ask "Well, what do you mean?" The manager then replied "I'm sorry sir but you can't leave them alone or unintended for they might disrupt other audiences." We were shocked. I do admit we were a little loud, but we were having fun as sisters, as family should. But I think we all had decency and home training to know not to be loud in the movie theater. I mean really! My dad looked at the manager and told her that these were his daughters and that she(pointing to my niece) were his granddaughter. "They're all grown. She's 29, she's 25 and she's 21. And my granddaughter is 10," my dad said. "Oh, I'm sorry," the manager said. She let us through and we proceeded to walk through.

I couldn't believe what had happened and unfortunately I do blame the media for portraying African Americans as loud, obnoxious and disruptive. Kind of like how the Antoine Dodson story was portrayed. There is some truth to it and it depends on how some were raised, but that's not an excuse to assume that all African Americans are this way. We didn't let the minor situation get to us and we enjoyed the movie. I think my dad might have been still upset about it but he let it blow over and at times you have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment