Wednesday, November 10, 2010

For Colored Girls... Did Tyler Perry Butcher the Famous yet Beautiful Work of Ntozake Shange?



So I seen the movie For Colored Girls this past Monday and before I go off to the opinions of the media and critics on what they think of the movie, I will first express my own opinion. I am very familiar with Ntozake Shange's original work which is titled For Colored Girl who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf. I also have seen the stage production in which I absolutely loved. I believe Tyler Perry's adaption of this poetic play was visually successful being that the original isn't so visual. Tyler Perry definitely portrayed each women perfectly according to their color. I honestly believe that Tyler did a fairly good job at of the adaption.

Here is where my criticism and only criticism comes in at. The Color Purple is one of my favorite novels and I think Steven Spielberg did an absolutely excellent job of the adaption of Alice Walker's novel. Every key point and important part of the novel was in the movie which made it very strong. Unfortunately, I do not think Tyler Perry did all that he was supposed to do for this movie like Spielberg did in The Color Purple. But Tyler did stay remotely true to the ChoreoPoems of Shange's work in the film which I absolutely love.

Critics are very skeptical at the approach that Perry decided to take with the adaption of the play. Most think most or all of Tyler Perry's movies portray black men in a negative light including this movie. With this movie in particular, I have to disagree with critics but in other movies that Perry had written, directed and produced I haves seen the trend where Perry does portray black men in such negative ways.

This movie overall is a powerful movie. Some of the situations that takes place both in the play and, of course more emphasized in the movie, are pretty much to the truth on what goes on in African American communities and to other women in similar communities through the world. The movie does make you rethink a lot of things and leaves you to wonder and to sympathize for every girl who goes through the pain that was portrayed in this movie. The movie Trailer is even powerful which made me really want to go see the movie for myself. There were some things that could have been brought forth to the movie, but kudos to Tyler Perry.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment